15 December 2006

C is for cookie... that's good enough for me.

Growing up, my grandparents would visit from Arizona every Christmas and stay for a month. I'd come home from school each day and help her bake cookies for the rest of the afternoon. Now that I'm older, it seems that the first snowfall or cold days of the winter season triggers something inside of me and I'm compelled to bake. I love baking. It relaxes me.

This year, our first Christmas in the condo, I have a large selection of cookies I plan on making. I now have the space to do so and an oven that is worth a damn. I am planning on making chocolate crinkles, chocolate chip cookies, spritz cookies, peanut butter cookies, gingerbread men, and cut-out sugar cookies.

The last two are for decorating with Rob's family. Last year, I brought dough back with me and baked the cookies at his Grandparents' house. We spend the evening portion of Christmas Day decorating the cookies with the kids. We figured it'd be a good tradition to start, so this year, I'll be better prepared.

Baking cookies during the holidays will allow me to still feel very connected to my grandma. This is the first Christmas that she won't be around and I know that it's going to be difficult for myself, my brother, and my mom.

At least we can drown our sorrows in cookies. It's what Grandma would have wanted.

No comments: