04 October 2006

I'm an on-air personality.

My brain is certainly not here today. I’m 10 days away from the wedding, and my brain is content to be sitting at home and worrying about everything that needs to get done for the 14th.

I still have quite a bit to do, including getting a mystic tan or two. I don’t know what that’s going to cost me or where I need to go, but that’s some information that I need to get figured out today. Anyone have any ideas?

I spent most of the morning out of the office and on an impossible mission for water-soluble oil pastels. After hitting Hobby Lobby, and Michaels, I realized that we desperately need an art supply store in the suburbs. We have to settle for “arts and crafts” stores, which translates to “place over-run by fake flowers and the smell of eucalyptus mixed with middle-aged white housewives with minivans, the same haircut, and a desire to scrapbook little Timmy’s first bowel movement.” Go ahead. Walk into your local hobbyist Mega-Mart and have a look around. Tell me what you see. I’ll wait.

While I’m on the subject, this place could also use a few other specialty stores. How about a decent place to buy yarn? I have yet to find a good natural-fiber yarn at a Mega-Mart. It’s all synthetics.

All of this looking at various art supplies has me wanting to do some work of my own again. I have this great plan for a huge painting/drawing for the kitchen, but I don’t have the time or resources currently to get it done. Maybe this is what I’ll focus on for Christmas break. We’ll see, tho.

While driving around, I did get to listen to my new iPod. Rob allowed me (have to say it that way, because that’s how it went down…) to get a new 30 GB video iPod. The iPod mini we have has a funky battery or battery gauge and doesn’t like to hold a charge. Now, I have 30 GB of storage to be filled with my pop-tart music, my singer-songwriters, my funk, my hip-hop, my electronic, and my soul. Oh, and also (so far) 5 episodes of The State. (“Hairdryers are good. They don’t use a lot of energy and they keep food warm. Keep hairdryers on all the time.”)

I need to fill up the iPod before next Wednesday when I’m driving the 3 hours to Champaign by myself. If anyone is listening to anything fun lately, throw the suggestions my way. I’m looking for new music.

I just realized I didn’t do a weekend wrap-up. On Friday I headed down to the Scottish Arms with Piper and Zac for some fish n’ chips lovin’, along with some Strongbow lovin’, as well as some Cline in a Kilt lovin’. Poor Mike had been there since about 8am that morning, and didn’t get off work until 11. Ugh. This is exactly why I never worked as a server or any other part of the restaurant business.

We stayed down there just long enough for Zac to drink anyone within shouting distance under the table, and Piper and I to get to hang out and have a wonderful time. It was nice to sit and have a drink with her again. It’s been way too long since she and I have done that. It was also nice to have a conversation with Zac. (Zac & Piper are a new thing.) He’s absolutely crazy about her. They’re cute.

I got home entirely too late, and hit the sack after watching half of an episode of the State. Woke up at about 10 am the next morning and texted Beth, Helen, and Ellen to see if I could find a shopping buddy. Beth called to say she was at work, Helen said she was going four wheelin’, and Ellen asked me if I wanted to go to Eckert’s Orchard first with her and Ann. I quickly got ready and headed out to Collinsville to get Ellen and go pick up Ann from Erin’s. We went to the Orchard, bought appley goodies and went to Fairview Heights Mall where the most that was purchased was an order of Chinese food and a few pretzel dogs. Headed to Old Navy for new clothes and then headed back to Ellen’s to get ready for the party we were heading to that night. Helen came over, did a little talking about the reception setup, and we were off.

Got to the party at about 8:30 where I proceeded to drink entirely too much beer while admiring the lovely house. Helen took me back to Ellen’s at about 1am where I passed out and woke up at 5am. Sober and ready to go, I headed back to MO to finish my slumber in my own bed.

Rob was home early the next day, so we headed out together for various errands. We had a really nice day together. I felt like we escaped from the world around us and reconnected for a day. It was a needed thing, because these next 10 days are going to be filled with high-stress and tension.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Chicken sandwich, CAAARRRRLLLL!

No comments: