07 October 2007

An' another thing...

Here's a great question - what the hell happened to Wal-Mart?

I'm not saying that it's my new favorite place to shop, but when I can't really sit in a car for 6 hours to hit my closest Ikea, I'm starting to find that Wal-Mart online is a resource for affordable modern design furniture.

Tonight, my search has brought me to finding storage solutions for Harper's room. We have a cute dresser we purchased at Value City (another place that can give me the heebie jeebies) and modified with some monkey drawer pulls, but we're also in need of a place to stash diapers, wipes, toiletries and other necessities.

As most of you know, I'm not one to go for the conventional items when it comes to my furniture. I'm often finding new uses for existing items, but this is one place where I was having trouble... until my search lead me to walmart.com's office furniture.


This is the 2-Door cabinet from the W Collection. At $130, it's a great deal for something that might be able to be used as a changing table and storage, and is attractive enough to be moved to another area of the house if Harper somehow decides that she's destined to be a pretty pretty princess, rather than a modern design diva. Also, at $130 for what I'm assuming is pressed board, it's a piece that I will have no qualms about rehabbing, modifying, and finding new uses for in the future. Maybe my daughter will have a creative urge to draw all over everything? One coat of chalkboard paint or chalkboard contact paper will give her storage she can label herself.

This is the W Collection hutch. Made to go on the cabinets I posted above, it's sold separately for $75. I think this would sit rather nicely on the floor and make a modern, affordable, kid-friendly bookcase. With baskets or boxes it could hold small toys as well as Harper's favorite books. As she grows, we could add it to the cabinet to hold a stereo, hair accessories, or anything else a growing girl needs/wants.

I'm not saying that all of my shopping will be at Wal-Mart from now on, (God no!) but I will definitely include their site in my searches for inexpensive storage and furniture solutions.

No comments: